The Tokyo Photographic Art Museum Library is a library dedicated to materials related to photography and visual imaging. The museum collects and makes available to the public a wide range of Japanese and international materials related to photography, including a strong collection of photography books as well as exhibition catalogs and books and magazines related to criticism, and the history of photography and moving images. The library is open to anyone interested in using the library’s materials on premises; there is no charge to use the library.
10 am to 6 pm
Requests for closed-stack materials and copy services must be made during the hours of 10 to 11:30 am and 1 to 5:30 pm. (except for Tuesdays and Wednesdays, when these services are available from 10 to 5:30 pm).
The library is closed on Mondays (or on Tuesday, if the previous Monday is a holiday), during the New Year’s holiday season(December29-January4), and for periods when special maintenance is required. For details, see the library calendar.
Access to Library Materials
- All materials are non-circulating and may be used only within the library.
- Open stack materials include the latest editions of magazines, the museum’s exhibition catalogues, and photography and art-related publications.
- The majority of the collection is stored in closed stacks. Please use the computer to search for the items you wish to see and submit a request form to the counter. No more than three items can be requested at any one time.
- You can also search the museum’s photographic collection by using the computer in the library.
Copying of library materials is restricted to personal research that does not violate copyrights.
Please fill out a copy service request form and bring it to the counter.
Please understand that some requests may be denied due to the condition of the material or other reasons.
Black-and-white copies are ¥30 each; color copies are ¥100 each.
Available paper sizes: B5, A4, B4 and A3.
All copying will be done by staff. There is a limit of 50 copies per day per person.
Librarians are available to answer questions about library materials and how to find them.
- The library’s collections can also be searched via the Internet at SEARCH
- We participate in the Art Libraries’ Consortium (ALC), which administers the cross retrieval OPAC system of art libraries in Japan: http://alc.opac.jp
Requests to Visitors
Please put all personal belongings (except pencils for note taking) in the provided lockers.
To protect the materials, only pencils may be used within the library.
If you wish to use your own laptop computer within the library, please apply at the counter.
If you must bring a personal item into the library, we ask that it be placed into a clear plastic bag that can be requested at the counter.
The following are prohibited within the library: eating, drinking, smoking, use of cameras or mobile phones and other behaviors that may disturb others.
The library is not available for recreation, studying for exams, or any other purpose besides reading and viewing library materials.
Please respect library materials by handling them carefully.
Tokyo Photographic Art Museum Library, 4F
Yebisu Garden Place, 1-13-3 Mita Meguro-ku Tokyo 153-0062
Tel: 03-3280-0099 Fax: 03-3280-0033
7-minute walk from JR Ebisu station; 10-minute walk from Ebisu station on the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line